Re: style: .MR

From: Humm
Subject: Re: style: .MR
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 22:08:34 +0000

Quoth G. Branden Robinson:
Right now the second argument to `MR` is mandatory (did I forget to put
in a style warning?--no, I didn't).  If I were to loosen the syntax to
permit an empty second argument, I would have the macro _not_ supply any
parentheses, and if you wanted abutting punctuation, I would require the
man(7) writer to put `\c` at the end of the first argument.  So the new
`MR` synopsis would be as follows.

 .MR page-title [page-section [trailing-punct]]

Thus if you wanted to talk in a section 2 or 3 page about some C
function name that has a man page to which you'd already referred, you
would write, for example.

 The
 .MR gmtime\c
 () function converts the calendar time
 .I timep
 to broken-down time representation,

Why not accept an empty second argument and puncuation?

        .MR gmtime "" ()

Right.  I don't see any solutions for this apart from making `MR` more
permissive, supporting "semantic tag classes" (my pie-in-the-sky idea
above), or bloating the macro name space for a something of limited and
specialized function, and the last is my least favorite by a long shot.

If someone else has a better imagination, please speak up.

At intervals over the past few days I've been drafting an email in my
head about my further man(7) reforms; there are three.  One is above.
The other two involve the lack of a macro for quotation and the lack of
a non-deprecated, non-tbl(1) way to eliminate the space between
paragraphs in lists.

I don’t get why you wouldn’t just use -mdoc and leave -man as it is. On most systems, there is -mdoc, and on the other ones, there likely won’t be a -man implementing such new macros.

Making cross references links is nice, but I could totally live with not having that at all with -man. (That doesn’t seem like a better imagination though.)

--
Humm