style: .MR

From: Alejandro Colomar (man-pages)
Subject: style: .MR
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 18:34:15 +0100

Hi Branden,

How would you use .MR on non-man[23] (e.g., man1) pages to refer to the
same topic of the manual page?  I mean, how would you refer to groff(1)
from within groff.1?

.MR groff
.MR groff 1

?

If you omit the number, you get empty parentheses, which for man[23]
pages looks good (they are functions, and that syntax looks good for
them), but for commands, it looks weird.  And if you specify the
section, you're a bit repetitive (but that's better than nothing).  And
then there's the option of using .B, or .I, but as we know, there's no
consensus on which of them should be used.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Alejandro Colomar