Re: preview of man(7) navigation/hyperlink features in groff 1.23

From: Alejandro Colomar (man-pages)
Subject: Re: preview of man(7) navigation/hyperlink features in groff 1.23
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 02:07:24 +0100

Hi Branden,

On 1/26/22 22:05, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
Hi everybody,

I don't normally stump for this sort of thing but I'm pleased with
several of the new features we've got coming for a better man page
browsing experience in groff 1.23 and I thought I would share them.

Long story short, we have navigable man pages in PDF output (thanks to
Deri James), and "man:ls(1)" style man page hyperlinks for terminals
(and HTML, of course).

Please find a screenshot attached.

Let me know if this looks good, or doesn't.

It looks good.

While I don't read man pages in PDF, I have written a few PDF documents using man(7), and for those, this feature is great.

P.S.: I tried ms, as you recommended, but I'm not yet convinced by it. I'll still use man(7) for a while, I think. My only problem with man(7) is .TH, which I can't remove :/

Cheers,

Alex

--
Alejandro Colomar