Re: Multiline Sucject as PDF metadata

From: Deri
Subject: Re: Multiline Sucject as PDF metadata
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 16:32:16 +0000

On Monday, 24 January 2022 12:44:22 GMT Heinz-Jürgen Oertel wrote:
> Hi,
> hope it will be possible,
> to write multi line subject lines as PDF meta data
>

> currently I us
> .pdfinfo /Title .. /Author .. Keywords and Subject with succes.
> All in one line, which is mostly enough for Title and Author.
> But often I have a need to explain more about the document. What what help
> is using more than one line. I tried different approaches, without success
> so far.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> .pdfinfo Subject "line 1\nline 2\n..."
>

> Greetings
>    Heinz

Hi Heinz,

This metadata is held in the "document information dictionary" of the pdf. In
the pdf 1.4 standard the items Title/Author/Keywords/Subject are all defined
as text strings, so I believe that precludes them from being multiline.

However, the standard allows you to include your own custom keys as well. I
tested this with this troff code:-

.sp 1i
.pdfinfo /Title PDFINFO Test
.pdfinfo /Synopsis Here is a little more text
Deri James

It works, embedding the new field "Synopsis" in the dictionary. Unfortunately,
okular, evince and the command pdfinfo ignore the custom keys, but the
acroread program does display them. So this may not be too helpful, sorry, It
does seem a little odd that the command "pdfinfo -meta" does not include
custom keys in its output.

Cheers

Deri