releasing groff 1.23 (was Re: roff(7))

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: releasing groff 1.23 (was Re: roff(7))
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 14:32:24 -0600

This was buried at the bottom of an unrelated email chain, so I'm
giving it its own thread to increase its visibility.

On 12/31/21, G. Branden Robinson <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2.  It sure would be nice to release groff 1.23.0.  We haven't heard
>     from Bertrand in a long time so I guess I'll have to volunteer as
>     the release guy--for one cycle anyway.  People might have noticed me
>     taking baby steps toward this by learning more about GNU Autotools,
>     resolving some issues with portability to non-GNU/Linux systems, and
>     starting a release checklist document in the tree.

If Bertrand is agreeable or MIA, I support this.  Groff has undergone
significant improvement in the four years since 1.22.4, and it would
be great to have its bug fixes, new features, and polished
documentation widely available.