Re: PROPOSED: Kill \X'tty: sgr'

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: PROPOSED: Kill \X'tty: sgr'
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 20:20:56 +0100

G. Branden Robinson wrote in
 <20211125171302.ubixfedm3xtssc5m@localhost.localdomain>:
 |I'm proposing a feature deletion.
 |
 |https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?61561
 |
 |Have I overlooked something?

It is the counterpart to the environment variable *_NO_SGR, and
controls the same variable old_drawing_scheme.
Why do you say that does not work?  Have i missed something?
I personally .. would not remove it.  What if anyone uses it to
turn off those ANSI sequences for her macro package?

In fact _i_ would not have simply turned the new scheme on, but
made it depend on some termcap or terminfo capability!  This is
what my MUA does, and if so allowed.  Ie if "Co" is given we _do_
use ISO 6429 sequences and do not care for the rest (aka do not
use the other termcap/terminfo sequences to generate the according
strings, we simply use ISO 6429 -- i found that sufficient for all
my thinkable options over twenty years ago i think, and have never
been dashed).  Iirc it is one of the "improvements" of GNU roff
that i never got right.

--steffen