The 3-faces problem

From: Alejandro Colomar (man-pages)
Subject: The 3-faces problem
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 17:57:28 +0100

Hey Branden!

I need your wisdom :)

I'm facing the 3-faces problem right now.
I'm trying to write the following sentence:

[
The macros [U]INTN_WIDTH expand to the width in bits of these types (N).
]

With the following requisites:

- N is variable, and so (I think) I want it in italics.
- INT _WIDTH is a macro, and so I want it in bold.
- [ ] is just indicating an optional character, and so I want it in roman.
- It's all a single identifier, so breaking it into multiple lines to avoid using \f would hurt readability.

My approach was the following:

[
The macros
.RB [ U ] INT \fIN\fP _WIDTH
expand to the width in bits of these types
.RI ( N ).
]

but for some reason the underscore (_) is also set in italics (well, under-underscored, since italics is just a big hype :).

I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong (somewhat likely), or if it's a bug in groff. The weird thing is that WIDTH, even if it's in the same word as '_', it correctly ends up in bold.

I'm using 1.22.4 (Debian Sid).

Thanks!

Alex

--