Re: Sed failure in contrib/sboxes on MacOS

From: James K. Lowden
Subject: Re: Sed failure in contrib/sboxes on MacOS
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 12:10:21 -0400

On Sun, 31 Oct 2021 10:02:20 +0100
Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri <andreas.kahari@abc.se> wrote:

> It doesn't say anything about #! in shell scripts and it say nothing
> about the location of the sh shell interpreter or the existance of
> the /bin directory.

        "It's very provoking to be called an egg ? very!"
        -- Humpty Dumpty

You must be referring
to https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/sh.html

        "Applications should note that the standard PATH to the shell
cannot be assumed to be either /bin/sh or /usr/bin/sh, and should be
determined by interrogation of the PATH returned by getconf PATH,
ensuring that the returned pathname is an absolute pathname and not a
shell built-in."

I'm sure I've read 100 times that a standards-compliant system will
have /bin/sh installed. Reading the above, at least as far as Posix is
concerned, there is no way for me on my machine to know where you on
your machine stashed your shell, and consequently no way to write an
interpreter line that's perfectly portable.  It's carefully written to
prioritize neither chicken nor egg.

<shrug>

--jkl