Re: Portability to Mac OS X (was: Sed failure in contrib/sboxes on MacOS

From: Larry McVoy
Subject: Re: Portability to Mac OS X (was: Sed failure in contrib/sboxes on MacOS)
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 11:29:10 -0700

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 05:19:00AM +1100, John Gardner wrote:
> I was thinking of ms(7) more than manual pages, actually. Think single-page
> HTML output.

-ms lends itself to parsing nicely.  I wrote something called webroff
(in perl) that took ms input and spit out a website.  In the early
days of BitMover, our commercial website was done that way.

Webroff generated a sit map and did each .NH as its own page but
also generated a page for each .NH 1 as well as the entire site
as one page.  That last one proved useful, I did many sales calls
where the guy I was talking to had our whole website printed out.

> (Anyway, I was just spitballing. I want an excuse to separate Groff from
> the TeX world as much as humanly possible???)

Couldn't possibly agree more.

--lm