Re: Portability to Mac OS X (was: Sed failure in contrib/sboxes on MacOS

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: Portability to Mac OS X (was: Sed failure in contrib/sboxes on MacOS)
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 04:27:50 +1100

In lieu of escaped newlines and awkward sed(1) formatting, you can use the
following line to insert an empty line:

/^Before$/ { N; s/\n/&&/; }

Note that BSD sed(1) is picky about braces and semicolons.

 I have groff building successfully on Mac OS X now.

I recently upgraded to macOS 12.0.1 (Monterey), though I've not recompiled
Groff yet. Gonna do that now and report on any new issues.

However, it should be possible to make generated *.info files part of
> the distribution archive and thereby reduce the dependency load for
> people who _don't_ care about running "make doc" (which demands an
> entire working TeX installation).

Even better: a preprocessor to convert Texinfo markup to Roff source
(possibly targeting a macro package). I've said it before, and I'll said it
again: Groff needs TeX about as badly as it needs an Instagram page.

texi2roff(1) anyone? (I imagine it'd be fun to write in Perl…)