Re: Sed failure in contrib/sboxes on MacOS

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Sed failure in contrib/sboxes on MacOS
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 00:17:49 +1100

Hi, Axel!

I have temporary access to a Mac OS X host[1] so I was able to reproduce
your problems.

At 2021-10-26T12:47:49+0200, Axel Kielhorn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I get the following error when building on MacOS 11:
>
> sed: 17: ./contrib/sboxes/notquine.sed: unexpected EOF (pending }’s)
>
> If I remove
>
> /\\##/{
>   s/\\##//
>   b}

Try adding a newline between the 'b' and the '}'.

> It works:
>
> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make  all-am
>   GEN      contrib/sboxes/msboxes.ms
>   GROFF    contrib/sboxes/msboxes.pdf

It may work even better without the deletion!  :)

I have a change pending in my working tree and it will likely appear in
my next push.  Thank you for the report.

> Later I get:
>
> sed: 1: "1i .lf 1 contrib/sboxes ...": command i expects \ followed by
> text
>
> Sed doesn’t tell me its version but the man pages says March 27, 2017.

Running "strings" on the executable reveals that it comes from FreeBSD.
I'm still testing a fix for this; it's a longer cycle because it
involves a change to an Automake input file, and the Mac OS X system I'm
on (probably like most others) has a truly geriatric GNU Autotools suite
due to Apple's boundless hostility to GPLv3, so I have to roll a new
distribution tarball just to test the change.

It's probably something to do with different quoting/escaping rules in
the Mac OS X make, sed, or their combination, if you want to experiment
along these lines before I can respond again.

While on the topic of Mac OS X, anyone know what to do about this?

ld: warning: object file (lib/libgnu.a(width.o)) was built for newer macOS
version (11.4) than being linked (11.0)

Are there some LDFLAGS that will point the linker to a place it won't
complain about?

I'm hoping I can ignore it since I have no intention of distributing any
artifacts of this build, but it awakens long-dormant, horrible memories
of "missing VBRUN500.DLL" errors on another infamous proprietary OS...

Regards,
Branden

[1] The system groff is 1.19.2.  For someone who's been living on groff
    Git HEAD for four years, it's a severely disorienting experience.