Re: Git, where zombie branches shamble again

From: Larry McVoy
Subject: Re: Git, where zombie branches shamble again
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 18:53:52 -0700

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 11:58:55AM +1100, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> > +1 except in extraordinary circumstances.
>
> Since I am now accused four times over of rewriting history, and
> moreover of violating an "absolute taboo", I must insist upon the
> presentation of particulars.

Hi, I'm the BitKeeper guy, nobody knows who I am but BitKeeper was
the first distributed source management system, hg, git, etc are
copies, I'm the guy that figured this model out.

If you did not rewrite history, which means you changed things so
that a pull won't work or will create a massive merge mess, then
you are fine.

The taboo is once you have some history, don't change that because
all of the clones of your public repository depend on that history.

I'd be happy to get on the phone with you if I could help.  While
I may be an SCM guy, I've been a groff fan for decades.  Love to
help.