Re: Absolute spacing redux

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: Absolute spacing redux
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 17:01:20 -0500

On 10/5/21, Peter Schaffter <peter@schaffter.ca> wrote:
> The behaviour is documented in the info manual and a workaround
> is provided,

Hmm, well, sort of.  I opened http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?60820
because the behavior seemed undocumented.  I see now that the .sp
section of the manual has example y-from-top-down and y-from-bot-up
macros for spacing to a position based on the page boundaries.  (I
presume this is the workaround to which you refer.)  But the rationale
for needing such macros is not spelled out, and the preceding
paragraph still characterizes | as specifying "distance from the top
of the page."  So unless there is something else in the manual I'm
overlooking, I'd call it quasi-documented at best.

> What say ye?  I'd like to put this in as feature request, but
> there's not much point if others don't see its utility.

Since I was recently bitten by the same problem (in the July thread
Branden cited), I'm a firm +1 for this.  The .ev solution worked for
me, but as you say it's not a general solution, and is somewhat kludgy
even when it gets the job done.