Re: We have OSC 8 terminal hyperlink support now

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: We have OSC 8 terminal hyperlink support now
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 00:24:32 +1100

At 2021-10-04T12:28:50-0400, James K. Lowden wrote:
> What happens on such a system if you type
>
>       $ man 2 open
>
> ?
>
> I think the system searches MANPATH or whatever, finds the first page
> meeting the search criteria, and displays that.  To see another page,
> you'd have to use "-a" or alter the search path.
>
> In any case, any question of what to do with such ambiguity is decided
> by the man system, not groff, and is orthogonal to hyperlink support.

Yup, all of this is correct as I understand it.  As I was saying to
Alex a bit earlier, I was attempting to consider ways we might
take advantage of the OSC 8 communications channel to aid the
man page librarian's job.

> Nice work, by the way!  I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward
> to hyperlink support in ms(7) and URL macros that support gropdf.

Thanks!  We _do_ have one form of hyperlink support in ms(7); see
doc/webpage.ms in the groff distribution for an example.

But I like the idea of generalizing linking device control commands so
that even "nroff -ms" produces clickable URLs in the terminal (given a
document that defines them).

Regards,
Branden