Re: We have OSC 8 terminal hyperlink support now

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: We have OSC 8 terminal hyperlink support now
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 00:14:02 +1000

Hi, John!

At 2021-10-02T14:24:08+1000, John Gardner wrote:
> That's one small step for a man... one giant leap for man(1)-kind. ;-)
> Brilliant work!

Thanks!  We'll drag it into the 21st century by its gray hair...

> I can't wait to update Mono.tmac <http://github.com/Alhadis/Mono.tmac>
> to include it! Is there any reliable way for a macro-package to detect
> support for this at runtime?

There's currently no way to ask grotty(1) if it's new enough to support
this feature, but that might not be what you want to ask anyway.

I use a new register called `mU` in an-ext.tmac as a flag to indicate
that URL capability is present; it's on for grohtml and grotty and off
for everything else.  The URI-related macros test `\nU&\n(mu` before
attempting to produce link-related device control commands.  (Thus they
will only proceed if the user says they want the feature, and the output
device should support it.)

If you're working at a lower level and need this information, it would
be easy to add a register to tty.tmac advertising it, since the troffrc
file ensures that a macro file corresponding to the output driver gets
loaded.  I guess we could call it `*groff*tty*has_osc8` or similar.

> Also, I spotted a typo in the third sentence under the description of
> \X'tty: link [uri [key=value] ...]'
>
> When uri is *is* present,
> >

> s/(is )\K\1//;

Thank you!  This fix will appear in the next push.

Regards,
Branden