Align top of text blocks

From: Andrea D'Amore
Subject: Align top of text blocks
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 18:49:22 +0200

Howdy list,
I have three blocks of text on a line and I would like to align them
on top rather than on the baseline.

To put things in context that is the header of a CV, and this is an ms example:

    \# Header
    .nf
    .mk a
    Sometown, Earth
    vs@johndoethetrueone.com.invalid
    .br
    .rt \nau
    .ps +16p
    .ce 1
    John "The Doe" Doe
    .ps
    .rt \nau
    .rj 2
    linkedin.com/in/j.doe
    github.com/j.doe
    .fi

I am building this using groff 1.22.4 and:

     groff -ms -Tpdf -dpaper=a4 -P-pa4 sample.ms >sample.pdf

I came up with this solution, pushing down the middle line that had a
bigger point size:

    \# Header
    .nf
    .mk a
    Sometown, Earth
    vs@johndoethetrueone.com.invalid
    .br
    .rt \nau
    .ps +16p
    .ce 1
    .sp +10p
    John "The Doe" Doe
    .ps
    .rt \nau
    .rj 2
    linkedin.com/in/j.doe
    github.com/j.doe
    .fi

Questions:
1. Is there a "proper" way to achieve this?
2. I had to eyeball the .sp value to 10p while I expected it to be +6p
(the difference between the default 10p and the +16p I used), what's
the actual math there?

As a side question I tried the *dual* solution pulling up the lateral
lines with:

    \# Header
    .nf
    .mk a
    .sp -10p
    Sometown, Earth
    vs@johndoethetrueone.com.invalid
    .br
    .rt \nau
    .ps +16p
    .ce 1
    John "The Doe" Doe
    .ps
    .rt \nau
    .rj 2
    .sp -10p
    linkedin.com/in/j.doe
    github.com/j.doe
    .fi

and I was left wondering why this wors for the right block but not for
the left one. Any hint?

--
Andrea D'Amore