Re: PROPOSED: semantics for an output line length of zero

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: PROPOSED: semantics for an output line length of zero
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 01:15:27 +1000

Hi John,

At 2021-09-07T23:22:13+1000, John Gardner wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand the issue here. For the purposes of
> line-wrapping and word-breaking, `.ll 0` is essentially the same as
> `.ll 1u`... isn't it?  Even in situations when a typesetter's quantum
> of motion accommodates at least a single character, the output is
> still the same; i.e.,
>
> I am \n[.l]u long.
>
> yields

> am
> 1u
> long.
>
> but also

> am
> 0u
> long.
>
> Am I missing something?

Perhaps not, now that I've pushed a change to clamp the line length to
the horizontal resolution of the output device[1].

It seems that your input now works as you expected.  Is that correct?
If so, I reckon we can close Savannah #61117.

Regards,
Branden

[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?61116

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/commit/?id=6e19da2ab0e360d5e48e5ef93ed32e6d703535a5