What is our ChangeLog management policy?

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: What is our ChangeLog management policy?
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 22:32:05 +0100

I see a complete lack of consistency in this.  Some commits duplicate
the entire ChangeLog entry in the ChangeLog file, and in the Git log
message; some update the ChangeLog file, but use only a summary line as
the Git log message, while some place the entire ChangeLog entry into
the Git log message, but do not touch the ChangeLog file at all.

Personally, I think the complete duplication in both ChangeLog file, and
in Git log message, is gross overkill.  In those projects, (e.g. MinGW),
which I manage personally, if a sub-project already has a ChangeLog
file, then I ask committers to write a full ChangeLog entry, including a
suitable summary line, into the ChangeLog file, and duplicate ONLY the
summary line as the Git log message.  For newer projects, we dispense
with the ChangeLog file altogether, and write the entire ChangeLog entry
as the Git log message.  (In the latter case, I have a mercurial plug-in
to extract a free-standing ChangeLog, on-the-fly, from the Git log -- I
use hggit to work with git repositories).

FWIW, I've been following the former MinGW policy for my recent groff
commits, but I would be happy to adopt any alternative agreed policy; I
do not think that the present inconsistencies should, in any way, be
considered desirable.

Keith.