Re: Refer database fields (was: Re: Why does refer(1) have no database f

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Refer database fields (was: Re: Why does refer(1) have no database field for =?UTF-8?Q?=20"edition"?)?=
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 23:33:55 +1000

Hi  Pierre-Jean,

I'm following up privately as well as to the list in case you're not
subscribed.  I apologize for the intrusion if it is one.

Also I think I misunderstood one of your points and I wanted to clear it
up.  (I made some minor formatting changes for line length purposes.)

At 2021-08-11T00:14:43+1000, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> Hi, Pierre-Jean!
>
> At 2021-08-09T13:42:39+0200, pierrejean.fichet@posteo.net wrote:
> > To add to the discussion concerning refer, here is an excerpt of my
> > past work and choices on that subject.
> >
> > There's an ISO standart which defines the needed and optional fields
> > of a bibliography list, as well as their order: ISO-690.
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_690
> >
> > It's unfortunately not much used, and even worst, not freely
> > available... But the idea to define fields and their order and let
> > the choice of typography and punctuation to the user is valuable.
>
> Agreed on all points.  I find proprietary standards to be dubious
> things.
>
> > For my thesis, I had to hack refer to make it sort the bibliography
> > list according to the order of fields defined by that standart.
>
> Yes, this is certainly something for which a communication channel is
> needed to the preprocessor, to suit the many different citation styles
> that control this aspect of formatting as well.
>
> > I needed the following fields, that I implemented in u-ref.tmac, for
> > utmac:
> >
> > %H information about the publication (first edition, french edition,
> > etc.)
>
> This would serve the need I raised (for an edition number) just fine.
>
> > %h heading of the section in which the citation appears.
> >
> > %M the collection in which the book in published.
>
> Doesn't %B already do this?
>
>        %B     For an article that is part of a book, the title of the
>               book.

I retract this.  If I undersand you correctly, we might use %M for
things like the "Loeb Classical Library" series, or, perhaps, George R.
R.  Martin's _Song of Ice and Fire_.

Regards,
Branden