Re: mm(7) DT string and super/subscripts (was: troff Memorandum Macros d

From: Robert Goulding
Subject: Re: mm(7) DT string and super/subscripts (was: troff Memorandum Macros documentation derived from the paper "MM - Memorandum Macros")
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 12:09:36 -0400

While we're on the subject of footnote markers/superscripts, including the
-me macros: I have always disliked the way that that macro set added line
spacing to accommodate the footnote marker. Maybe that was necessary in
older output devices; but it looks very ugly in modern laser
printed output. I've redefined the footnote marker for -me thus:

.ds { \v'-.9m\s'\En[.s]*7u/10u'+.7m'
.ds } \v'-.7m\s0+.9m'

Robert.

--
Robert Goulding
Director, John J. Reilly Center for Science, Technology, and Values;