Re: troff Memorandum Macros documentation derived from the paper "MM - M

From: Damian McGuckin
Subject: Re: troff Memorandum Macros documentation derived from the paper "MM - Memorandum Macros"
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 23:28:57 +1000 (AEST)

On Mon, 9 Aug 2021, G. Branden Robinson wrote:

There is clear evidence of tmac.s in Version 6 Unix (1975)[1].

PWB Unix is 1977. But get input from someone who was around at the time.

Why not use the preprocessor eqn(1) which means using definining the
delimiter at the start of the document with

        .EN

ITYM .EQ above. :)

Yes, Sorry. Brain switched off. Nightime here.

groff mm(7) is already heavily extended; I think we should go ahead and
add strings for super- and subscripting unless someone can come up with
a really good reason not to.

Go for it. My only reason for using eqn(1) is tht 99% of my needs are because of mathematics. You examples of footnotes to text and chemistry formulae are clear examples where they are not needed. That said, I never use superscripts for footnotes and use the 'roman' keyword in eqn(1) for
chemical formulae.

Stay safe - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International, 277-279 Broadway, Glebe NSW 2037
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here
Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer