Re: Refer database fields (was: Re: Why does refer(1) have no database f

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Refer database fields (was: Re: Why does refer(1) have no database field for =?UTF-8?Q?=20"edition"?)?=
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 13:42:39 +0200 (CEST)

Hello alls,

To add to the discussion concerning refer, here is an excerpt of my past work
and choices on that subject.

There's an ISO standart which defines the needed and optional fields of a
bibliography list, as well as their order: ISO-690.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_690

It's unfortunately not much used, and even worst, not freely available... But
the idea to define fields and their order and let the choice of typography and
punctuation to the user is valuable.

For my thesis, I had to hack refer to make it sort the bibliography list
according to the order of fields defined by that standart.

I needed the following fields, that I implemented in u-ref.tmac, for utmac:

%H information about the publication (first edition, french edition, etc.)

%h heading of the section in which the citation appears.

%M the collection in which the book in published.

%P total number of pages of the book.

%p page of the citation.

%U co-author, translator, etc.

%w which kind of electronic document (CDROM, online, etc.)

%x url of an electronic document.

%y update date of an electronic document.

%z last access to an electronic document.

I also implemented:

- two formats: one for notes, and another for the bibliography list,

- a contextual substitution of the references by "ibid." or "op. cit. p. xx."

Cheers,

Pierre-Jean.