Re: Macros for printing envelopes?

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: Macros for printing envelopes?
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 18:07:10 -0400

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021, James K. Lowden wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 12:44:04 -0400
> Peter Schaffter <peter@schaffter.ca> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 15, 2021, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > > As I see it, with groff I can easily create files for addresses I
> > > use often and should be able to code a script that accepts those
> > > one-off addresses.
> >
> > I use this strategy with the mom macros.  Here's the .mom template
> > file:
>
> But ... don't you need some kind of input-tray selection escape, or
> something?  How does the printer know to pause and wait for you to
> insert an envelope?

Depends on the printer, I guess.  My one-tray printer
knows I've inserted envelopes because I insert them before
processing/sending-to-printer.  Very old school. :)

The OP was wondering about how to set up envelopes using groff
without having to write new macros.  It's easy, as my example
showed, and that's what I hoped to convey.  FWIW, it doesn't require
a macroset.  It's a walk in the park to create an envelope template
using just groff requests.

How such a template is used with a script, however, is entirely site
dependent.  As far as selecting trays goes, that can be done with
lpoptions(1) or the -o flag to lpr(1) in the script.

--
Peter Schaffter
https://www.schaffter.ca