Re: Macros for printing envelopes?

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: Macros for printing envelopes?
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 12:44:04 -0400

Nate --

On Thu, Jul 15, 2021, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> As I see it, with groff I can easily create files for addresses I
> use often and should be able to code a script that accepts those
> one-off addresses.

I use this strategy with the mom macros.  Here's the .mom template
file:

------envelope template-------

.\" #10 envelope (US)
.PAGE    9.5i 4.125i .3i .3i .4i .4i
.FAM     Futura
.FT      R
.PT_SIZE 11
.LS      13
.LEFT
.\" Return address here
.IL      3.5i
.SP      |2i-1v
.PT_SIZE 12.5
.LS      15
.\" Destination address here
----------------------------

The Return address is always filled in.  In a script, the
Destination address can either be cat(1)ted together with the
template from an address on file, or groff's .rd request can be
appended to the end of the template so one-off addresses can be
typed in at the command line.  Depending on your printer, you may
need to rotate the file to landscape orientation (the -P-l flag at
the command line).

Hope this helps.

--
Peter Schaffter