Re: Would it be reasonable to list the fonts that are available by defau

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: Would it be reasonable to list the fonts that are available by default in groff?
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 20:35:35 -0500

On 7/15/21, G. Branden Robinson <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> What I think we need is to absorb Peter's font installer into groff,
> give it a man page, make sure it works for a preponderance of expected
> scenarios, and so forth.  I'd do it, but I haven't had the spoons.

And you already have a huge number of spoons in the groff pot!

But getting install-font.sh distribution-ready is a set of tasks that
doesn't require a lot of groff-specific expertise, making it a good
candidate for someone who wants to contribute to groff but doesn't
want (or have the cycles) to learn an extensive existing code base.

Consensus last year seemed to be that two tasks need to be done;
Branden alludes to a third above.  These tasks involve different
skills and needn't be done by the same person.

 - Make the script portable by removing dependencies on bash-specific
features (see http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2020-04/msg00079.html
and downthread; thread continues, not linked to the previous one, at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2020-05/msg00000.html)

 - Write a man page

 - Write some test cases to ensure it works as expected

If anyone thinks one of these tasks might be for you, probably the
best way to coordinate is through the savannah ticket for this issue
(http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?58831).  You can add a note there
saying what you're working on, and attach files for others to review.