Re: Would it be reasonable to list the fonts that are available by defau

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Would it be reasonable to list the fonts that are available by default in groff?
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 05:02:47 +1000

Wherein I illustrate how well I can count...

At 2021-07-16T04:24:29+1000, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> Given the coupling between output device and font repertoire, I submit
> that the most appropriate place to document the available repertoire
> is in the man page for the relevant output driver.  Four of our seven
> such pages do in fact cover this material; see grodvi(1), grolbp(1),
> gropdf(1), grops(1), and gxditview(1).

...that's five, not four.

[discussion of grohtml and grotty snipped]
> There are some deficiencies; some pages, like grolbp(1), don't
> actually mention which font family is the default (news flash--it's
> Times).

The missing one is grolj4(1), which claims not one but _two_ man pages
in its demesne, and manages to not cover this material in either.

Someday I reckon I will fix that problem, and due to personal
irascibility, probably also merge lj4_font(5) into grolj4(1).  There's
nothing unique about the _groff_ font description format used by the lj4
driver as far as I can see, and that's not what the page discusses;
instead it's a description of historical developments of the fonts
implemented within the printers.  That's not what section 5 of the
Unix manual is for.  It's interesting reading (I love tech history), but
I see no reason this stuff can't move into grolj4(1)--but not early in
the page, because its audience is surely even narrower than that for the
driver itself.

Regards,
Branden