Re: "absolute" vertical position seems awfully relative

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: "absolute" vertical position seems awfully relative
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 02:43:58 -0500

On 6/22/21, Peter Schaffter <peter@schaffter.ca> wrote:
> The only thing I can think of is that the .bp is triggering a macro
> that changes the .vs.  That could result in different vertical
> placements, but not, I think, "noticeable."

When I first noticed the problem, a change in the size of a v was the
first thing I suspected, so I put the value in question into a
register, forcing it to be stored in basic units, and used only the
register in the \v call.  When I further simplified the example in
order to post it here, I took the most direct route and specified a
number in u's directly.  Either system ought to immunize the value
from any effects of the current font size or leading.

But I'm relieved someone else is as baffled by this as I am.