Re: A few observations regarding tbl

From: Oliver Corff
Subject: Re: A few observations regarding tbl
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 20:31:38 +0200

Hi Branden,

thank you for your encouraging response!

I think it should be perfectly possible to put a handful of these tables
together with their sources into a tbl showcase file. The material is
taken from a series of government-published books between 1953 (no troff
yet) and 1985 (obviously employed troff to typeset the whole thing). A
single figure/illustration/table can always be regarded as a quote in
scientific terms if the source is properly attributed. For that
particular purpose, I am ready to supply my tbl solutions.

As far as tbl features (or elements of the language) are used: actually,
I was quite modest in exploiting tbl's offerings, and haven't really
scratched below the surface. I made wide use of horizontal and vertical
spans, as well as horizontal lines covering only portions of the
columns. I employed font changes, made ample use of table continuation
requests, but that's about it. I virtually did not use column width
specifications at all (with a few exceptions), but I always defined tab
as '|' because that, together with appropriate whitespace padding,
provides for a smooth editing experience and was of great help to spot
conceptional mistakes in my input files.

I also have to confess that not every single table I (re)produced is a
perfect match of the original. Sometimes, in some tables, the column
widths are slightly different (I attribute this to font metrics
differences), and some other tables ended up much wider than in the
original book, but still clearly conveying the same ideas; so I didn't
force myself to achieve visual identity, if everything else was just
what the original authors intended.

I identified at least one feature the use of which (or not) in the
original material cannot be determined with any certainty. Let's assume
you have cells with multi-line contents, then you can either build small
paragraphs with T{, T}, or go the lazy way and hard-code every single
line. In the beginning I went the T{} way but was not always satisfied
with the breakpoints chosen by the algorithms; given that this also
depends on the text width of the text holding the .TS .TE material (some
parts of the book are in one-column, others in two-column mode; not
arbitrarily, though, but due to clear editorial decisions). Facing this
problem, I later opted for hard-coding line-breaks and reserve as many
lines in the tables as needed.

Another example where tbl's suggested solution and the series of texts
are visibly different is the use of 'a' as a column identifier for
indented material, like in sub-categories to something. This, again,
cannot be conjectured from the sources with certainty. I later abandoned
'a' as a column identifier altogether and resorted to '\0 ' as indent
aid, producing pleasing results in many cases, and results which came
much closer to the original printed presentation than my attempts using 'a'.

Another area where I could not achieve total similarity with the
original were tables with extensive notes. The width of the text block
(which I kept within the .TS .TE environment, doing something like

.T&
l s s s s s s s
And then the text enclosed in a T{ T} area
.TE

did not match the width of the table. Sometimes the text below is much
wider, stretching the table artificially, sometimes the table is much
wider than the text block, which does not seem to see how much space it
is offered.

Since this particular aspect of the reproduction is utterly
insignificant for my particular publication purpose (the material is
supposed to appear online), I did not care to fix it.

Another area where I failed to reproduce the exact appearance of the
text sources were huge curly braces spanning several rows or columns. I
finally considered it sufficient to achieve a similar result using math
braces (via inserted eqn code.

Finally, in some of the tables I could not discern whether the original
authors abused pic with insertions of tbl, or vice versa. I quickly
decided that it is much better reproducing scans of these "tables" as
there are hundreds of illustrations, organizational diagrams etc. only a
small portion on the latter years seems to have been done with pic. When
discussing the original publication proposal, the concensus emerged that
direct scans of these materials convey best the "Zeitgeist", i.e. the
spirit of the era. Actually, the style of the graphical displays changes
a lot over the years of this book series, and direct scans are the best
testimonial of that.

My current publication roadmap is targeted at a www environment, and
prints on paper are mainly for proofs. Since I was made aware of the tbl
-> html capabilities of mandoc quite recently only (essentially after
everything had been done), my steps were as follows:
1. compile all tables into pdf, using a simple wrapper which can
accommodate different paper sizes (some tables spread over two to four
pages in the original books; I *do* know this makes ugly reading, but
that was the original editors' choice, not mine).
2. crop all pdfs down to the naked table, zero margin.
3. convert pdf to png via pdftocairo, using a fairly high resolution
(like -r 200 or even -r 300). Modern browsers can scale embedded
graphics automatically.
4. embed the png in the source -> html converted texts.

At this point, you will ask why I didn't use groff -Thtml and leave the
png production to the backend. Simple answer. This combination has the
nasty tendency to split tables into several png slices in a manner not
always predictable. For simple tables, it works, not so for large tables
with one or more .T& continuation requests.

Only after I found out how useful mandoc is, and with a good portion of
assistance from Ingo Schwarze who wrote a few bugfixes on the fly, ---
thank you, Ingo! --- I opted for another route. I ran a few tests which
features of my tables were acceptable as input to mandoc, and then wrote
a wrapper which takes each table, greps it for forbidden contents and
feeds it to mandoc only if it is "clean". Then, there is some
post-processing; mainly removing everything like <div>...</div> and
other materials. I just need the bare
produces the text output now has an additional check for all table
requests. If there is a html table of a given page and name, include in
the output, if not, take png instead, and if no png is there, complain
bitterly.

I amusing gaffe of mine at the very beginning of this undertaking was to
produce footnotes within tables, for the purposes of annotations. I
struggled hard with the various footnote macros of different macro
packages, until I gave up on the idea of literal footnotes and employing
superscript numbers in the table body, with text in the table footer.

Altogether, off and on, with all experiments, reasoning and probing of
possible options, I spent about a year and a half on this issue, from
first successful table to finalizing the last huge table.

I include four examples of different degrees of complexity. The
similarity of these with the originals is striking, and even if there
are different column widths, etc., they clearly convey the spirit of the
original.

For a tbl showcase text, I could also provide scans of the original
material.

Best regards,

Oliver.