Re: Auto-resize paper size during document run?

From: Deri
Subject: Re: Auto-resize paper size during document run?
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 22:04:00 +0100

On Wednesday, 26 May 2021 20:01:33 BST Oliver Corff wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> one question: is it possible to redefine the papersize _during_ a *roff
> run? Simple idea: I have a text with a few huge tables, best viewed in
> landscape mode, and rather than seeing the tables being truncated or
> producing separate pdf files with different paper settings a temporary
> redefinition of the paper size would be appreciated.
>
> Let's assume the table is enclosed in a keep, then, if it is possible to
> aquire the dimensions of the table, the keep can be issued on a separate
> page, and once the keep processed, regular paper size is resumed.
>
> It does not matter that such a file becomes virtually unprintable on an
> ordinary printer. Just imagine some online journals distributed as PDF
> which have similar displays, e.g. of maps and centerfolds.
>
> Of course, I can typeset the table separately and assemble the pdf pages
> by hand, but a solution totally controlled from within the groff file
> would be great.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Oliver.

Hi Oliver,

You may be able to do what you want if you use the \X'papersz=..." command (see
man gropdf)
which allows you to change the paper size within the document. So individual
pages within a
document can have different sizes, the command affects the next page added to
the document.
If you use MOM I believe you can use the PAPERSIZE command.

Cheers

Deri