Re: man-intro

From: Oliver Corff
Subject: Re: man-intro
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 20:18:41 +0200

Hi James,

this is a very nice intro indeed. I have a few suggestions:

I agree with Dave that the passus on numbered sections of man pages
should be moved further down. The majority of novice users will likely
search for commands, not necessarily for functions etc. A dedicated
section "On Sections" could begin with:

The library of man pages provides much more documentation than "just"
the commands you may want to use. System calls, library functions,
kernel interfaces and many other topics are treated in separate
sections. These sections are accessed by a number. Try, for instance,
man groff, which gives a synopsis of the details necessary for running
groff. In contrast, man 7 groff gives a "short reference" (not so short
after all) of the GNU roff language.

Near the beginning, I humbly suggest inserting a paragraph which
introduces the interaction of man page, formatter and pager, like:

All man pages your system offers are formatted uniformly. Calling a
given man page sends that man page through a formatter and prepares it
for display. You can read man pages on screen, but they will look
equally readable when formatted for print.

Finally, I'd encourage the user to verify for him/herself the difference
between a shell (e. g. bash) built-in and a man page call. In the case
of "cd", the difference is striking! "help cd" offers just a bit more
than a screenful of information, exactly the amount one is willing to
digest in the beginning.

"man cd", on the other hand, opens the bash built-in command *man page*,
which, at least on my system is a plethora of text to read (and digest).

Just my 2cents,

Oliver.