Got those old bad kerning blues

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Got those old bad kerning blues
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 11:40:09 +1000

Hi folks,

I don't like the way the roman \[lq] is kerned with the bold \[rs] in
the attached example, produced with "groff -Tpdf".

Who do I complain to?  Er, that is, where should I look for the source
of the problem?  Is the kerning information for the Times family
incorrect?  Is my PDF viewer (evince) screwing up?  Is the kerning
formally fine and simply doesn't align with my preferences?

Regards,
Branden