Re: "point size" is not usable as a term

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: "point size" is not usable as a term
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 11:21:41 +0100

On 19/04/2021 09:47, Peter Schaffter wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2021, Bjarni Ingi Gislason wrote:
>>   Bug #60403 (closed) unified the writing of "point-size" to "point
>> size".
>>
>>   The problem is,
>> that this coinage does not make sense.
>>
>>   The "point" in this compound,
>> is a name of a unit of measurement,
>> is thus a constant,
>> but its definition
>> (size, numerical value)
>> depends of the used measurement system
>> (system of units).
>>
>>   The right term is "type size",
>> which is usually measured (stated) in "typographic points".
>
> And then there's the real world, where 'point size' is used
> by every (English speaking) typesetter, graphic designer, and
> proofreader I've ever worked with.  Like it or not, 'point size'
> became synonymous with 'type size' a very long time ago.

Indeed, it is even formally defined as such, by no lesser authority than
the Oxford English Dictionary, (which, AFAIK, is *the* authoritative
language reference throughout the English speaking world, beyond the
sphere of influence of the USA):

     https://www.lexico.com/definition/point_size

> The groff manual is not a place for grinding semantic axes.  Use of
> the near-universal 'point size' is preferable.

Quite so.  In fact, such axe grinding would appear to be nothing short
of nonsensical pedantic bickering.

--
Keith.