Re: Release Candidate 1.23.0.rc1

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Release Candidate 1.23.0.rc1
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 01:08:06 +1000

Hi Oliver,

At 2021-04-17T14:26:55+0200, Oliver Corff wrote:
> Hi Branden,
>
> thank you so much for your meticulous work!

You're welcome--but I can't help it!

> I may not be aware of the latest developments but I just noticed under
> "Miscellaneous" that groffer has been deleted from the distribution.
> What is the rationale? I always found it quite useful. Is there any
> substitute or workaround for it?

In summary, its original author stopped participating in groff
development, it indulges in several idioms (especially option handling)
that are uncharacteristic of the rest of the groff source code, and
possibly as a result of that, no one on the groff mailing list has
expressed an interest in maintaining it.

You can find the discussion that led up to this decision in the list
archives from April 2020.

https://lists.libreplanet.org/archive/html/groff/2020-04/msg00051.html

Regards,
Branden