Re: New extension to gropdf

From: Bertrand Garrigues
Subject: Re: New extension to gropdf
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2021 01:53:20 +0200

Hi Deri,

On Fri, Apr 02 2021 at 02:11:02 PM, Deri <deri@chuzzlewit.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> I have been working on an extension to gropdf to draw boxes underneath the
> usual output from groff. The idea is to make it easier to include coloured
> frames around groff content, without having to use keeps, particularly if you
> want the frame to extend over several pages. It can also add a backgtound
> colour to the "paper” gropdf uses.

Looks very interesting,

> Included is my first attempt at an extension to the ms macros to make it easy
> to include coloured frames. I have not used ms very much, nor written macros
> so I'd be very grateful if people more expert than me could improve it,
> particularly in regard to proper integration with the ms macros.

I can't help much on that; I'm not even a regular ms user as I've
switched to mom. By the way, perhaps Peter would be interested to write
a mom extension to use your colored boxes?

> The attached archive contains the new version of gropdf. Also it includes the
> macro extension file sboxes.tmac which can be used with "-ms -msboxes", and
> an
> example of using the extension called msboxes.ms.
>
> Please feel free to do whatever to improve it.

I've integrated your work on a dev branch 'dev-gropdf-boxes' and pushed
it, so that people can use it right away and easily suggest some
modifications.  I put everything under a new directory
'contrib/sboxes'.  You example is generated in
build/contrib/sboxes/msboxes.pdf, and the new .tmac is installed with
other .tmac files in the normal tmac dir.

Regards,

Bertrand Garrigues