Soft hyphens

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Soft hyphens
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 17:10:06 -0400

When hyphenation is disabled, soft (discretionary) hyphens are
interpreted.

I discovered this when a mom user emailed me that (some) soft hyphens
were appearing as hard hyphens between syllables mid-line when run-on,
line-numbered footnotes were being output, even though hyphenation was
disabled in the environment in which the footntes were collected.
The solution to the problem was to disable filling, not hyphenation.

I'm wondering if the interpretation of soft hyphens when .nh is
active is correct behaviour.  It's counter-intuitive and feels like
a bug.  If it is the expected behaviour, we need to amend the info
manual to state that .nh does not disable the interpretation of soft
hyphens.

--
Peter Schaffter
https://www.schaffter.ca