Re: Warnings of dangling .el with bracket-less nesting

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Warnings of dangling .el with bracket-less nesting
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 01:32:01 +1100

Hi, Jim!

At 2021-03-18T16:38:07-0700, Jim Avera wrote:
> The following code operates correctly in all cases but warns about
> "unbalanced .el request" if either the first or second condition is
> true (with -w all).
>
> The warnings do not happen if the "else" statements are wrapped in \{\
> ...  \} but is this supposed to be necessary?

No.  It may be sanity-preserving to use the brace escapes but they are
not syntactically required.

> The conditionals all seem to actually work correctly,

Yes, and the behavior is consistent with Heirloom Doctools nroff as
well.  (I shortened your macro name and changed the ".tm1"s to ".tm"s.)

> in spite of the warnings.  Are the warnings a bug?

It seems so.  Would you be willing to file this report as a Savannah
ticket?

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=groff&func=additem

People interested in this issue may also wish to review

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?45502

as well.  It strikes me as possible that these issues are distinct
symptoms of a common problem.

Regards,
Branden