"mom": Effect of TAB character?

From: Steve Ross
Subject: "mom": Effect of TAB character?
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 03:15:03 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,
A question on the "mom" macro set (version "mom-2.4-4_e") with "groff" 1.22.4
with regard to the TAB character...

I have attached four files.
- "correct-author-name.mom" -- a six-line "mom" file.  This file correctly
produces "correct-author-name.pdf".
- "correct-author-name.pdf" -- The PDF output of "mom" and "groff".
- "issue-author-name.mom" -- This file is identical to the first ".mom" file,
except that I appended a TAB character to the end of the ".AUTHOR_COLOR coral"
line.

- "issue-author-name.pdf"  -- The incorrect PDF output that features an
unexpected right square brace and the author's name in the color black instead
of the color coral.

Why does the TAB character have the unexpected effect?Should I avoid using TABs
in favor of spaces?(I inserted the TAB for the purpose of moving to the right
of the text AUTHOR_COLOR to add a comment to the end of the line.)
Thanks in advance for any help,-- Steve Ross