Re: Escaping hyphens ("real" minus signs in groff)

From: Deri
Subject: Re: Escaping hyphens ("real" minus signs in groff)
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 16:27:38 +0000

On Friday, 22 January 2021 03:56:00 GMT G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> The gap between aspiration and implementation.  I don't think the
> "copy-and-paste from PDF to terminal window" matter is completely sorted
> out yet.

Hi Branden,

I can't seem to make this not work. In my last email I explained how a default
ucmap is installed in the pdfs produced by gropdf, so assuming the pdf viewer
supports the pdf standard it should not require a change to the man macros you
favour. I have tested using 'xpdf' as the viewer which pastes:-

- − fi   <== without ucmap
- - fi  <== with ucmap

Of course, if the pdf is produced by using grops and ghostscript the result
will be the same as using gropdf with no ucmap, i.e. '-' and '\-' will be
pasted as different characters.

Cheers

Deri