Re: Huge Filesize of PS file 12M

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Huge Filesize of PS file 12M
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 22:11:53 +0100 (CET)

Wim,

> I'm generating my postscript file with my own macros for writing
> company letters.  But the generated filesize is 12MB for the PS
> filesize.

please, PLEASE, don't send such huuuge e-mails to a mailing list!
Instead, upload it to a place temporarily where interested people can
download it for further inspection.

> for some reason there is a huge part binary how can I avoid this ?

You can't.  groff doesn't support font subsetting (yet).  To get small
files, process groff's output with ghostscript's `ps2ps` tool or
something similar.

> I installed the GNU freefonts maybe it has something to do with it?

Yes, all your fonts are obviously converted to PostScript resources and
embedded into the output file.

IIRC it's actually possible to make groff not embed the fonts.
However, this means that you *must* preprocess the output file with
ghostscript to get something portable.