Re: [ms] Add a standard glyph name for hooked o instead of relying on .A

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: [ms] Add a standard glyph name for hooked o instead of relying on .AM?
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 02:38:44 -0600

On 1/13/21, G. Branden Robinson <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have no argument against your reasoning.  The main reason this isn't
> being done is because no one is working on it (to my knowledge).

I get the scarcity of groff developers, but I had sort of assumed this
wasn't being done because no one had floated the idea before, so I
brought it up for discussion.  If there seems to be general buy-in,
I'll open a savannah feature request for it.

Such a change does admittedly break some back compatibility, in the
sense that things may render differently, though it should break no
existing *roff code.

> I think the best thing to do in the short run is
> accept Dorai's contribution and warn of this limitation in the man page,
> assuming the larger kerning issue isn't resolved in time for 1.23.0.

Yeah, I think any change to how kerning is done would be too
substantial to try to slip into an imminent release, even if we did
get consensus for it and someone agreed to take it on.