Re: Specifying short marginal note?

From: Dorai Sitaram
Subject: Re: Specifying short marginal note?
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 14:29:40 +0000 (UTC)

 Thanks, John! Just what I was looking for (but didn't know how to search for).

--d
     On Friday, January 8, 2021, 05:19:12 AM EST, John A. <john@ankarstrom.se>

 On 2021-01-08, Dorai Sitaram wrote:
 > What's a good way to put a bit of text in the left margin of the
 > "current" line?

With ms, I would do this:

    .LP
    .mk
    .po -2m

    .br
    .po
    .rt
    Some text.

This results in ">>" being put to the left of "Some text". You can read
about .mk and .rt in 5.22 "Page Motions" in the groff manual. Very
useful requests!

 > [...] the marginal-note (I believe this is the technical term
 > for this) text isn't required to be multi-line, if that makes the
 > implementation any easier.

It certainly does! They're usually called "margin notes", and they're
quite hard to implement (if they are to be multi-line and continue on
the next page etc.).

Best regards
John