Re: End-of-sentence spacing

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: End-of-sentence spacing
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 19:57:11 -0500

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020, Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:
> For those who have not read it yet: the original
>
>   http://www.heracliteanriver.com/?p=324
>
> has unfortunately vanished, but I have saved a copy:
>
>   http://www.usm.uni-muenchen.de/~hoffmann/roff/tmp/typographyspacing.pdf

Thank you!  I hadn't read it, and I loved it.  Basically, everything
that was passed on to me when I apprenticed as a typesetter in a
commercial shop lo, these many years ago: paragraph text benefits
from sentences with a little more space between them than between
words (the full em was considered a bit too old school).  The amount
of space was related to font, size, leading, and line length.

When we switched to phototypesetting on Compugraphic 8400s (anybody
remember those beautiful beasts?), we used the search/replace
function to add "kern units" to spaces after EOS characters to
achieve the effect.  We'd do it in one pass, then give the galleys to
the proofreader to catch the sentences beginning with capital T, V,
W, or Y, which either needed no extra space or had to be brought
back a tad.  (There's something single-spacers never seem worried
about, despite the obvious holes: tightening period-space-T/V/W/Y
combinations.  They could at least be consistent in their hatred of
unequal word/sentence spacing!)

--
Peter Schaffter
https://www.schaffter.ca