Re: End-of-sentence spacing

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: End-of-sentence spacing
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 13:38:12 -0500

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020, Dorai Sitaram via wrote:
>  I'm not completely sure it's true for all modern applications,
>  but I hope you're right that it doesn't hurt in general to
>  explicitly type two spaces after a sentence.  As a dinosaur,
>  that's what I used to do, but trained myself out of it after
>  reading a high-profile tirade scolding me (at least it felt like
>  I was being individually targeted, so I promptly wilted).  I mean
>  of course the famous
>
> https://slate.com/technology/2011/01/two-spaces-after-a-period-why-you-should-never-ever-do-it.html

The article addresses itself to the use of two spaces after a
sentence *in typeset copy*, i.e. copy that uses proportional fonts,
which is indeed frowned upon.  How one enters monospaced text at the
screen or on a typewriter--yes, people still use typewriters and the
ribbon is still sold--is not covered at all, except to point out an
error that results from conflating the two (putting two spaces in
typeset copy).  In typewriter-style copy, e.g. email, "two spaces
between sentences" has been considered standard for a really long
time.  In my experience, it does make monospaced text easier to
digest.  I reflexively reformat received emails to introduce the
extra space if it's not there.  YMMV.

That said, there is no reason not to introduce a tiny amount of
extra space between sentences in typeset copy.  It depends on the
font.  Those with tall caps in relation to the x-height usually
don't need it, but those with caps that blend into the overall grey
are often improved.  It's a judgment call that requires a practised
eye.

--
Peter Schaffter
https://www.schaffter.ca