Re: End-of-sentence spacing

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: End-of-sentence spacing
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 18:39:55 +0100 (CET)

> I'm not completely sure it's true for all modern applications, but I
> hope you're right that it doesn't hurt in general to explicitly type
> two spaces after a sentence. As a dinosaur, that's what I used to
> do, but trained myself out of it after reading a high-profile tirade
> scolding me (at least it felt like I was being individually
> targeted, so I promptly wilted).  [...]

I always use two spaces after a full sentence – for *input*.  Main
reason are editors like Emacs that use this to identify the end of
sentences, allowing you to move the cursor around sentence-wise.  For
output it's really up to the selected typography style.

On the other hand, there are programs like MS Word that output two
spaces if you enter two spaces, regardless where they are.  I've seen
soo many documents that have uneven spacing within sentences.
Honestly, this bad usage of the program due to incompetent users
completely dwarfs the two-spaces-after-a-full-stop problem...