Re: Is .rd implemented at all?

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: Is .rd implemented at all?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 20:30:33 -0600

On 12/15/20, Dorai Sitaram <ds26gte@yahoo.com> wrote:
>  Thanks Dave, for the suggestion. That doesn't seem to be the problem,
> however, on my machine (Ubuntu 20.10). No-argument cat works as expected.

Then something peculiar to the Ubuntu groff seems to be behind this.
Ubuntu is a Debian-derived distro, and the concurrent "local timezone"
thread here points out Debian's proclivity to customize groff in
incompatible ways.

I don't have access to a Debian or Ubuntu system, but perhaps one of
our other troubleshooters here does and can look into it.  Or if you
can get ahold of a non-Debian-flavored groff, maybe see if that gives
you different results?  If you're willing to go through the trouble,
it might be instructive to build groff yourself from its source --
that way your OS, shell, environment, etc., will all be identical, and
only the groff executable will be different.