Re: [groff] Odd indentation in -ms using .IP after .SH 1 with .nr PSINC

From: T . Kurt Bond
Subject: Re: [groff] Odd indentation in -ms using .IP after .SH 1 with .nr PSINC 3p
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 14:36:44 -0500 (EST)

Tadziu Hoffmann <hoffmann@usm.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
>   * Insert ".ps" before the call to "IP".
>     (This might not work if you manually change
>     the font size within the section header text,
>     in which case you could probably use something
>     like ".ps \n(PS" or so instead.)

Further mysteries!

In my test document, inserting the ".ps \n(PS" before the .IP works.

In a variant of my test document, which includes ".nr PS 10p" near the
top, using ".ps \n(PS" before the IP causes the text of the indented
paragraph to be replaced with a lot of vertical blank space.  (The
bullet is still there, but not the text of the paragraph.)

However, in that cause if I use ".ps \n[PS]u", then it works.
Obviously there is a scaling problem, but I'm not sure why it is
happening.

Should the second argument in ".nr PS 10p" always be devoid of the "p"
scaling indicator?  That seems to contradict the advice in the texinfo
manual in section 5.2.1 Default Units to always include a scaling
indicator.

If it should alwasy be ".nr PS 10", I need to communicate that to the
pandoc developers.  One of pandoc's output formats is ms format troff.
I use that extensively when working with markdown or ReStructuredText,
because it is faster than the other pandoc output formats that produce
PDF.  Anway, their default template for the ms troff output includes
".nr PS 10p".

It also includes ".nr VS 12p".  Could that cause any similar problems?

Should I encourage the pandoc developers to use 10 instead of 10p for
PS in their template file, and potentially 12 instead of 12p for VS,
and document it so that people looking at the template to find how to
change the pointsize and lineheight know not to use the p scaling
indicator?

--
T. Kurt Bond, tkurtbond@gmail.com, https://tkurtbond.github.io/