Re: groff: grops and grodvi crash on invalid input

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: groff: grops and grodvi crash on invalid input
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 16:13:37 +1100

> What do you think about a warning for drawing outside the page boundaries?

I can't see that benefiting anybody, quite frankly. Since all coordinates
are precomputed, users are unlikely to see such a message in practice.

Personally, I find Groff's postprocessors too chatty, and would really
appreciate having the ability to silence certain warnings. Perhaps
something like:

x warn -unknown-x-cmd +out-of-bounds

… which would enable your proposed warning addition, and disable this
sodding message I'm sick of seeing:

grotty:<standard input>:15: error: X command without 'tty:' tag ignored

(For reference, it's complaining about the \X'meta: …' directives I
embedded in a few macros)