Re: One groff file outputting multiple pdfs?

From: James K. Lowden
Subject: Re: One groff file outputting multiple pdfs?
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 17:47:06 -0500

On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 15:41:42 -0500
Richard Morse <pukku@mac.com> wrote:

> The roff file is being generated by a program, and for a few reasons,
> it would be much easier to have the program generate one output file,
> and then run Groff on the single file. Is there someway, perhaps
> using the mysterious ?I/O? requests, to have the roff file change the
> output file through out?

Sounds like a job for awk, Richard?  How is groff supposed to know when
to start a new output file?  If it's on page breaks, I would read the
giant file with awk, and begin copying to 1.ms.  When it hits .bp, open
2.ms, and so on.  The call groff with the generated inputs using a
3-line Make file for parallelism.

I'm interested if that wouldn't work, because I've never used groff in
a production environment where I didn't control the input.

--jkl