Re: Release Candidate 1.23.0.rc1

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Release Candidate 1.23.0.rc1
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 23:24:04 +1100

At 2020-11-14T06:08:03-0600, Dave Kemper wrote:
> On 11/13/20, G. Branden Robinson <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The concepts thing is stuck because I've been dithering about
> > adapting it, with various deletions,
[...]
> Are you proposing that the draft you emailed a month ago, which placed
> the text all in the Texinfo file, instead place that text in one or
> more of these other locations, or that the Texinfo be edited as
> originally submitted but some of the text also be duplicated in these
> other locations?

Yes, that's what I have in mind right now.

But you're right.  I could push the groff.texi changes sooner rather
than later.

> If the latter, as I presume, would it be reasonable to commit the
> patch as-is to doc/groff.texi, so it's at least in the one place where
> you know it'll live while further dithering happens?  Unless what
> you're considering is having the text live in a central file and at
> build time get integrated (in whole or in part) into up to four of
> these documentation files -- which sounds impossible given the
> diversity of formats of the files, but I wouldn't put it past you to
> have some scheme in mind.

"And they called me mad...MAD!!!!"

I have given this some consideration but I can't think of a way to
achieve it that doesn't amount to writing my own markup language and a
translator for it that generates Texinfo and man output.

No thank you.

> >> Also, most of the hyphenation data imported from TeX (see
> >> http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?57594) was last updated in the
> >> 2006-2007 time frame.  Is it possible to resynchronize these files
> >> for this release?
>
> > Is anyone besides me willing to undertake this?
>
> I started looking into how to script the changes needed to the Texinfo
> files, hit a roadblock, and set it temporarily aside.  I need to go
> back to it.

Urp--I didn't even realize hacking our Texinfo was a necessary
consequence of hauling in new TeX hyphenation patterns for _groff_.

Can you explain why this is?  When groff.texi is processed, shouldn't it
be the build system's TeX, with its own hyphenation patterns, that get
used?

Regards,
Branden