Re: [DRAFT] Revised groff ms manual for review

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: [DRAFT] Revised groff ms manual for review
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2020 00:07:13 +0100

Hi Branden,

G. Branden Robinson wrote on Sun, Nov 01, 2020 at 09:47:14AM +1100:

> To achieve the above, I defined my own chapter macro.
> This is not discouraged in ms, unlike in man(7) and mdoc(7).

You are completely right, and in view of some recent discussions
that might mislead people when seen out of context, this seems well
worth saying, too.  The ability to define macros to tackle the
particular needs of an individual document is among the strengths
of roff - and, as you recently documented, it has been since AT&T
Version 3 UNIX in 1973.

I'm regularly using a small number of macros of my own on top
of a standard macro set; i tend to use -mm for my presentations
rather than -ms, but that makes no difference with respect to the
basic idea.

Yours,
  Ingo